Wednesday, November 07, 2012

You Know What Comes Next, Right?

So, Hadley turns three....which means it is time to officially stow the crib.  BIG GIRL BED.  Can you visualize the tears streaming down my cheeks?  I will confess that it was my idea.  I think Brandon knew better than to suggest it.  I knew it was time.  Tear off the band-aid.

This transition was made easier by the fact that we had changed the crib into a toddler bed a few months prior (which, might I add, was NOT a smooth transition).  So, I was used to not seeing the crib in its baby form.  BUT...the move to a big girl bed is still momentous, as every Mommy knows.

Being girl #2, Hadley inherited Kylee's big girl bedding set.  From past experience, we knew this bedding set would be laundered way too many times to make it worth springing for something new (I think we will choose to celebrate the "HOORAY!  No more Pull-Ups!" phase of life with new bedding).  We were a bit unsure of what Hadley's reaction would be.

She was thrilled.

Super Hadley!

Celebrating with Connor and Kylee

SO BIG!
Overall, I think this did make things easier on Mommy.

So, the crib, changing table, and precious glider rocker have been stowed in the basement for the last time.  An era has ended...and a new one has started.

I am the kind of person who will probably never feel completely joyous about being done having children.  I love having babies and being a Mommy.  There are parts of each and every stage of development that I absolutely love.  It makes me sad to think that I will never feed one of our babies in the glider rocker in the quiet of the night...never tuck another of our little ones, freshly bathed and smelling of baby lotion, into the crib for the night...a tiny little burrito bundle with a bald head sticking out.

Yet, as I look ahead, I see moments filled with laughter as our children show their own sense of humor and ability to understand sarcasm (an absolute survival skill with me as their Mommy).  I see moments of amazement as our kids discover that yes, they CAN do something new that they have been afraid to try before.  I see moments of fulfillment as our children explore their faith and learn what it means to be Christ-followers.  All these experiences come with age and time.  

I am so grateful to celebrate these milestones, big and small, with our precious kiddos.  We are truly, truly blessed.

No comments: