Sunday, August 02, 2009

Grateful

It's been a relatively quiet weekend here at the Carlson house. We have enjoyed time together as a family, made the requisite 12 trips to Target, and have, of course, spent hours loving on Hadley.

The past two weeks have been absolutely amazing. Each and every time I gaze at our newest daughter, I am overwhelmed by love and gratitude. I study her hands, her feet, her nose, her eyes, her soft hair....I listen to her grunts and sighs and feel her heart beating through her chest. I snuggle her close and inhale that new baby smell. I even marvel at her cute little bottom with each diaper change. I can't believe she is here.

My mother-in-law stayed with us all last week and it was wonderful to have her help. We took the kids to have their pictures taken and once again, I was a bit overwhelmed with emotion as I watched our three children together...a picture I have longed to see for a long time. I am so grateful that we have been allowed to experience this miracle of new life, and at the same time, the hurt in my heart for those families, like ours, who don't get to bring their babies home with them is still strong. In each moment of joy, I feel led to pray for those families who are in the midst of their pregnancies with a terminally ill baby...or for those who have just found out that their babies will go to heaven instead of coming here to be with them...or for those who have just held their babies for the first and last time...all in one day. My heart is with them.

Connor and Kylee are doing quite well in the roles of big brother and sister. My new catch phrase is "give her some space" as they love to be directly in Hadley's face. :) They are overcome with excitment during the 15 minutes of the day where she is actually alert. Connor has already read stories to her, and Kylee loves to help dress and bathe her. It is such a blessing to watch them interact.

This week will be the first week that I ride herd on the children all by myself. The usual amount of apprehension accompanies this...but I am also flooded with joy and gratitude that I have a baby here to take care of. The house, laundry, meals, and personal hygiene will take care of themselves...for now, I am enjoying every moment of holding and loving on our little miracle.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Carlson Family! Wishing you sleep-filled nights soon! --Nan Fiebig

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post, Linds. I'm so grateful for these wonderful moments for all of you and for your understanding of others.

Can't wait to see you-
Love,
Robyn and Ben

Anonymous said...

It was such a joy to see you all at church on Sunday and to get a peek at your newest addition. Hadley is just beautiful, but I never doubted that she wouldn't be. Your other too are so I knew she would be too.

It really is a miracle to see a newborn baby with her tiny little hands, fingers, and toes. I'm so very happy for your family. I can't tell you enough! :) Take care of that sweet little girl and enjoy every moment. It sounds like you already are! God is amazing in his blessings.

Karla Macken

Anonymous said...

I am sooo excited for you!! How awesome!! Thanks for sharing this with us!!
Also, I am glad I am not the only one constantly saying 'give her some space'!! Guess they don't grow out of desiring to be right up in their face!!
Well, enjoy your day and thanks for the birth announcement...I can't believe how fast you got them out!! Wawy to go!!

with love
erin hilton