Monday, July 20, 2009

Tomorrow We Meet Her...

It is surreal to me that tomorrow morning, we will go to the hospital and begin the process of welcoming our baby girl into the world. This week has held a mix of emotions for me...anticipating Hadley, thinking about how our family is about to change, and, of course, grieving Caden as I reflect on all the milestones we've missed with him.

I find myself tearful fairly often...mostly because I am totally overwhelmed by God's grace and goodness and the gift that He has given us in this little girl. Hadley represents so much to us...healing, hope, resolution...and we'll get to hold her....tomorrow.

So, today is my last day of being pregnant. Again, a bit surreal. I feel this little one moving inside me and have mixed emotions about her being on the outside instead of the inside. While it will be nice to breathe normally, perhaps wear clothes without an elastic waistband (still several months away, I know), and maybe make it at least 15 minutes in between runs to the bathroom to pee, I will miss all the kicks, nudges, and tickles that new life in your belly brings. I know, though, that the sadness of missing that will be outweighed by the joy of watching Miss Hadley grow and explore the world around her. I also cannot wait to see her in her Daddy's arms, and to watch her brother and sister's faces as they meet her. :) I am happy to share.

Connor is very excited about Hadley's arrival. He has been counting the days for the last two weeks, and his face lights up when he talks about Hadley "being born". The first thing he told me this morning is that Hadley was going to be born in just ONE DAY! It was great. I know he will be an excellent big brother...no better man to have two sisters as his siblings.

Kylee, however, while excited, is responding a bit differently to the anticipated change. She has been a bit of a pill this week, mostly, I think, because she senses that something new is coming (and she's not real big on change). She, too, is excited to meet Hadley, but I think there is a part of her that fears that we might not get to bring this baby home. She guards her heart...but I look forward to the moment when she can let go and hold a healthy baby...a moment I have anticipated since finding out Hadley was on the way.

We enjoyed our weekend together...our last one as the four of us. We attended a Royals game on Friday night, did school shopping for the kids on Saturday, and then had a special dinner out together on Saturday night (Connor decided that "fancy" restaurants are entirely overrated). Sunday was spent attending Church and relaxing. I enjoyed my last uninterrupted Sunday afternoon nap for quite awhile. It was heaven!

We, once again, humbly ask for your prayers tomorrow. Please pray for our labor, and, of course, for a safe and healthy delivery. Please lift up Connor and Kylee as they deal with a positive, yet big, change in their world. And please pray for Brandon and I as we become parents to Baby #4.

We are so very grateful to be at this point...after such a sad year and then a pregnancy filled with apprehension and doubt, and eventually joy, tomorrow is the culmination of many things for us. We will be posting updates here, so feel free to check in and celebrate with us.

We have so much to be joyful about.

"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works: that I know very well."
Psalm 139:14

11 comments:

About to be, Mommy of Three said...

Cara sat on my lap while I read your letter out loud. At the end, with tears rolling down my cheeks, she smiled at me and said "That's a long letter!"
Cara wants you to know: "I can't wait for Hadley to be born!" And we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers and look foward to being a part of the celebration of life tomorrow!

All our love,
Sarah, Cara and Collin

The Ervie Family said...

I know we talked earlier, but we are so happy for all of you. Tomorrow will be a wonderful day for your entire family! Hold Miss Hadley tight and enjoy every part of her....which we know you will. Good luck and God bless each one of you!

Shena said...

Carlson Family,

There are no words to describe the happiness and emotions that I feel for your family today. May you feel the love and support of your church family as you welcome little miss Hadley to your family. I can't wait to meet the newest Carlson. I know she will be perfect like the entire family! You are all an inspiration to me. Thanks for being there in spirit through your blog many, many times. Your words are so comforting and applicable to many life situations. I hope that makes sense.

Peace and blessings.

Anonymous said...

There is a community of love and prayers around the Carlson Crew, soon to feature Hadley, tomorrow and beyond. We cannot wait to meet this precious girl. Love to all of you.
Robyn and Ben

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for your family. We pray for health and happiness for Hadley and your whole family. Can't wait to see her!

Susan Duffett

Anonymous said...

We, too, are anxious to be there with you soon, and to share the joy Hadley will bring.

Sleep well tonight! You have a big day's work ahead of you tomorrow!

We love you and will see you and Connor and Kylee soon.

Dad C

Ashley said...

I am so excited for you and I can not wait to hear about it and see pictures of miss Hadley. I will be thinking of you constantly tomorrow. Reading your blog makes me so excied for the day we get to meet Landon! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Hope said...

Praying you through every moment of tomorrow and so excited to check back for updates!

missjane said...

We hold you in our thoughts and prayers all through the day as you welcome little Hadley and we will ooh and ahh all over her ASAP!!! Blessings on your whole family, plus one more :-) This day has been on our calendar since your post on July 6th.........no more waiting!!!
Uncle Dan and Aunt Jane

Anonymous said...

The entire Carlson Crew (earthly and heavenly) are in my thoughts and prayers today . . . so very excited to 'see' Miss Hadley!!! Love you!!!

Cyndi

Anonymous said...

Lindsey & Family,
We are so happy for you! Can't wait to see Miss Hadley! We will be praying for you today!
Love, Traci B. & Family