Thursday, January 29, 2009

Another Goodbye




This last weekend was a rough one for us as we had to say goodbye to our dog of 8 and 1/2 years, Wicket. As many of you know, we had to put our yellow lab, Winnie, to sleep in April. Wicket suffered from the exact same ailment (gastric torsion, now made famous by the movie "Marley and Me"). She was acting weird all night last Friday night, and then Saturday morning, she continued to act strange, at which time I noticed the ominous bloated belly. Brandon and Connor took her to the vet right away where our fears were confirmed. Kylee and I joined the boys to tell Wicket goodbye.

It was terrible. And completely unexpected. I couldn't believe it. After everything we've been through in the last year...and now one more loss. The vet couldn't believe it was us again, dealing with gastric torsion. She said that she typically sees 1-2 cases of it a year. Leave it to the Carlson family to have two dogs pass from it in the span of 9 months. She assured us that there is nothing that we could have done to prevent it or cause it.

Enough, already!

Connor, in particular, has had a hard time. He is a big animal lover and loved every minute of playing with his dogs. He shared the news about Wicket with his classmates on Monday and apparently started crying. His teacher gave him a hug, which he reported, "made things all better". Yesterday, he drew a picture at school in memory of Wicket. I have posted it above for you all to see. When he got home from school, he decided he wanted to paint a picture for Winnie, which is also above.
I have found myself in the midst of somewhat of a faith crisis...wondering if I have the energy to endure much else, or really, to watch my kids endure much else. How can such young, tender hearts be expected to comprehend such loss? Maybe that's just it...they don't worry about comprehending it...they just trust it, feel it, and move on.
It has been sad without Wicket around the house. She was such a good dog. We miss her. We were very grateful that we had Buster to come home to after telling Wicket goodbye for the last time.
We keep moving along, hoping for the rainbow that follows the storm. I know it has to be coming soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Carlsons. I'm so sorry. Universe--enough already!
We love you-
Robyn and Ben

Hope said...

Oh give some hugs to Connor for me. I loved what you said about the way kids handle these things. They just trust, feel, and move on. A childlike faith is so difficult to have as an adult!

I have a feeling God is getting ready to use the Carlson family in an amazing way. You all have endured so much over the last year and come out with a stronger faith and a compassion for others that only comes through trials. I believe that rainbow is just around the corner, look up and hold on until you can see its brilliance! :)

Laurie in Ca. said...

Oh Lindsey,

I am so sorry to hear this. Connor's pictures are precious. We lost two of our collies with the same thing in one year. It is sudden and by the time it is noticed, it is too late. I am praying for that rainbow to get here soon too Lindsey. A lot of people are waiting for it and what a blessed sight it will be. I'll be praying for you all my friend. And Buster has "big paws" to fill.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Wow. Gosh Linds. I know that you are strong but sometimes I am amazed at how much God gives you. You ARE strong . . .stronger than anyone I know. This too, shall pass. I'm so sorry to hear about Wicket. Love you all.

Cyn