Sunday, November 16, 2008

Reflections

It is a relatively quiet Sunday evening here at our house. Connor and Brandon are outside playing football (they went to the Chiefs game today and came home all pumped up despite another dismal loss), and Kylee and I are holding down the fort indoors. Ah, peace.

In anticipation of the holidays, I have been thinking a lot about Caden...and am wondering how this season will be for our family. Last year at this time, we were just finding out that we were expecting another little one, and spent the holiday season in anticipation of having three kids to celebrate the holidays with in 2008. Little did we know, we were beginning a different kind of journey with our third child.

I have been struggling a bit lately with handing situations over to God...and realizing that just because you go through something really trying and difficult in life, it doesn't mean that you are exempt from pain from that point forward (the last two years of our lives have made that much evident). We are both waiting to find some sense of tangible purpose in Caden's death...and some days are easier than others.

One morning a couple weeks ago, I was driving home from dropping Kylee off at preschool. I was listening to the local Christian radio station, and a Pastor was giving a mini-sermon on the air. Usually, I change the station (I do not share my husband's passion for talk radio) when this happens, but on this particular morning, I listened. The sermon was about having gratitude in any situation. That had my name all over it. I needed to listen.

The Pastor concluded his lesson by telling the story of God's promise to Abraham...that he would be blessed with more descendants than he could count. Of course, you may know that what makes this story most interesting is the fact that Sarah, Abraham's wife, was well past child-bearing age when God revealed this plan. The Pastor went on to say that God fulfilled His promise to Abraham, through the birth of a son and then many other descendants, but Abraham didn't live long enough to see the entire promise fulfilled (descendants that numbered more than the stars in the sky).

God always fulfills the promise.

But He may not choose to do that in my lifetime.

If He doesn't show me, His will is still perfect.

Hmmmm.....

This day gets even more interesting, because I heard the story of Abraham and Sarah two more times on THIS SAME DAY through different venues.

Wow.

I miss our baby terribly. Will we hang a fifth stocking on our fireplace this year in memory of a boy that is not with us? Buy a special ornament for Caden? Cry on Christmas morning because he isn't here with us? I don't know.

But, this I do know...God will be there to hold us as we feel our pain or sadness. I suppose that's all that matters. Hopefully there will be joy for us as we celebrate the birth of the Christ child. I hope that this holiday and birth celebration will begin a new phase of life and rememberance for us. In a season of hope, I will be making a conscious effort to acknowledge that God is with us, fulfilling his promises to us....and whether our Caden is with us or not, he is the fulfillment of a very special promise to us, as every child is.

For that, I am thankful.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsey,

Thank you so much for your message today. I feel as though it is a personal sermon in a sense to me. Very meaningful and absolutely perfect timing. Thank you. It's always good to see and talk to you on Sunday morning.

Shena

Anonymous said...

So beautifully said, my friend. The Carlson Crew is just always in my heart-
Love,
Robyn and Ben

Laurie in Ca. said...

Lindsey,

These are beautiful words from your heart and I needed to hear them today for myself. I am praying for you to be filled with Gods Joy this holiday season. And I think that you should celebrate Caden however your heart leads you. He is so special and always a part of your family. He will always be in your heart, that tender place that hurts so much with missing him. I am praying that hope will ease the pain in Gods time.

Love and Prayers, Laurie in Ca.

Hope said...

You said that beautifully Lindsey. Thanks for sharing!

We hang a stocking with Jael's name on it every year. The girls enjoy making her part of our Christmas in this way and it makes us grateful for another year spent together as a family.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Lindsey. Every baby I see (in utero or on the outside) makes me think of Caden. I miss him.

And I'm thankful for him, and his parents.

God is able. More than able.

Jan