Sunday, September 21, 2008

"There's More of Us, Mommy!"

We took the kids out to do some shopping this weekend. One of the salespeople at a local store was talking with us and was asking Connor and Kylee what their names were, how old they are...you know the drill. She then asked "Do you have any other brothers and sisters?" and then she looked to Brandon and I and inquired, "Do you have other children?" At first, I was a little put off...did she think we did have other children but just left them somewhere else ("Why, yes, but we left the others out in the car!")?

Connor and Kylee looked at me and waited for an answer. I think the saleslady sensed there was more to the story. I wasn't sure what to say. What I wanted to say was "Yes! We have more children. You see, on March 30th, we were told that...." but I didn't think it was the time or place to get into all of that. So I simply shook my head and said "No. Just the two of them."

Connor looked at me, and almost immediately said "Mommy! There's more of us! Not just two! We have Caden! Our little brother!"

I then revised my answer...."Yes, we have one more son, but he's not here with us. We have one in heaven and two here." The saleslady said something like "Oh, that's too bad."

I looked at Connor and said, "You're right, Buddy. There are more of you."

And there always will be.

5 comments:

Dad_C said...

Great Answer! Kids are great, they don't let their inhibitions dictate what they say or do. I am not sure if could have answered so honestly or directly. Give them my love.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Lindsey,

I agree with dad c above, kids are so pure and honest. Bless Connor and Kylee for being there for you at a rough spot. I love Connors answer and you can always use it:) I think of you every day and pray for you guys on this long road. Sweet friend, just know that there will always be 5 of you, that will never change. I love you and pray that your weekend was a good one and peaceful.

Love and Hugs, Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

Good for Connor! You should be very proud of him and yourselves. You and Brandon have allowed Connor and Kylee to very much be a part of Caden's life and death. Caden will always be their little brother and you guys have done a terrific job of instilling that in their hearts. He will always be with you all.

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Connor impresses me with his wisdom all the time. Brandon and Linds, we're here still praying, still thinking of you, and still loving you--
Robyn and Ben

Anonymous said...

From the mouths of babes . . isn't that the truth! I'm proud of all of you for your answers! Love you!

Cyndi