Thursday, August 28, 2008

Men Are From Mars....

This week has been a good one as we continue to settle into the school routine. At about 7:30 each evening, we make a mad dash to get both the kids through the tub, allow them one last snack, brush teeth (we have to ask at least 3 times), and then tuck them in with stories, prayers, and a lullabye. This is quite a challenge for a family who has never been particularly ritualistic at bedtime...and on most nights, was lucky to get the kids to bed before 10:00.

Those days of being relaxed about bedtime are gone, but I must say that Brandon and I are really enjoying the adult time in the evenings now that the kids are in bed by 8:30. We can watch grown-up TV, play around on the computer, or just (gasp) have a CONVERSATION. It's amazing!

I am quickly learning that the differences in communcation styles is inherent in men and women. Every day, I pick Connor up from school and ask him how his day was. The conversation goes something like this:

Me: "How was your day?"

Connor (with a slightly exasperated tone): "Fine."

Me: "What was the best thing you did today?"

Connor (looking wistfully out the car window as if he wishes he could be anywhere but with me): "Recess, Mom. It's ALWAYS recess."

At this point, Kylee decides to tell him all about what she's done throughout the day, during which, he promptly covers up his ears and looks pained. In his defense, Kylee does seem to repeat the same thing about 80 times in a row.

Now, on the days I pick Kylee up from school, here's how it goes:

Me: "How was your day?"

Kylee: "I did a craft, and learned a new song, and we read a story about Max and Ruby. I played outside, AND, I went to the bathroom ALL BY MYSELF!"

Me: "What was your favorite thing?"

Kylee: "Doing a craft. And Daniel got put in time out today because he pushed Marissa in the face. But I played with Melania outside today and I taught my friends patience because I showed them how to take turns out on the slide."

Me: "Really? YOU teaching patience?"

Kylee: "Yes."

Now, mind you, our daughter attends preschool for 3 hours twice a week and my son goes to school for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I am trying to make peace with the fact that my glimpses into my son's world will be signficiantly smaller than those into our daughter's.

Whether much or little is shared, I am so proud of the way our kiddos have adjusted to their new environments at school. What amazing blessings they are.

4 comments:

Hope said...

Sweet post. I have all girls and my sister has all boys. She noticed that very difference when she asked my girls if they liked Sunday School at her church and actually got a detailed answer! I love that God made us different (most of the time).

About bedtime, our kids have always gone to bed between 7:30 and 8 and it is wonderful! Glad you and the kids are adjusting well to the new routine!

Dad_C said...

I love it! That is it in a nutshell. Thanks for sharing that story.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Great post Lindsey and the conversations are so different!! It sounds like the new routine may be just what you and Brandon need for some "big people" time:) I continue to pray for you and all of the adjustments the kids are going through with school. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and remember you are loved.

Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

I hope you and Brandon are having a great weekend as well.

On the 30th...I especially think of Caden. Precious little one.

Jan