Sunday, August 24, 2008

First Days...

HOORAY! We survived the first week of school.

Connor started school on Tuesday of last week. He is back at the same school he attended summer school in, and he has the same teacher....it is a huge help that he is familiar with the "lay of the land". We went to Back to School night, and he was completely comfortable and felt right at home in Miss McPherson's (aka "Miss Mac's") classroom. It has been a bit difficult to adjust to the "up and at 'em" routine in the mornings, but he has done very well.

He reports that his first week was "very bummer" because "all they do when we go somewhere is tell us rules and I ALREADY KNOW all those rules from summer school!" We have assured him that next week will be better. Please pray that it is. :)

We continued our tradition of first day of school pictures. Here Connor is in his (second) first day of kindergarten outfit, complete with new shoes:

Here he is walking into school. Parents are allowed to accompany their kids into the classroom for the first three days. I love this picture of him. I think it conveys a sense of purpose and innocence all at the same time.

Here is Connor with his teacher, Miss Mac. This is her fourth year teaching in Liberty. She seems to genuinely love her job, and I think her personality will mesh well with Connor's. They are in front of the "treehouse" that they have in the middle of the classroom. It was closed during summer school, so Connor can't wait to get up in there!

Kylee had her first day of preschool at Second Friends on Wednesday. After watching Connor go to school, she was ready and rearing to go. When we'd ask her if she was excited to make new friends, and she quickly replied "I don't WANT to make new friends". Despite this stellar attitude, she has LOVED her time at preschool. She was very excited about getting to do a craft, color, and learn a new song all in the same day. She thinks she's pretty hot stuff. Here are the first day of school pics, complete with a new dress AND new Dora shoes. In the second picture, you will see the patented Kylee J grin:



We had this same picture taken of us on Connor's first day of school right outside of Second Friends. I decided to wear my glasses just in case my sobbing caused my contacts to get blurry. Thankfully, it wasn't (much of) an issue:


Here our big girl is, sitting at the table in the classroom, diving right into the crayons:


It was a good week for our family. As we sent both our children to school, I was reminded of how precious my time at home with them has been. I am so thankful that I have a career that has allowed me to spend most days with our kids. I am hopeful that that time together will allow them to flourish outside of the house. It has been an easier transition for me than I expected that it would be....after 6 years, a quiet house is almost foreign, but I am learning what to do. :)Kylee is only in school from 9-12, so just about the time that I get a little sad, it's time to go pick her up. It's perfect.

Goodbye, summer. I have mixed emotions about seeing you go....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! Life is all about bonding and tearing, and both processes hurt a little. But here you are, climbing back on top of things, and VERY WISELY taking pictures of it all. Your kids need to know that they are still at the center of your world, in spite of all that has happened. Some of the feelings that you now have after they're gone to school, will return in spades when they go to college.....so brace yourself. But that's a few years,(VERY few!) away, so soak up every minute with these kiddos while you can! It's all good. Really, it is.
Love,
ELW

Hope said...

Those are sweet pictures! Looks like your kiddos are going to have a great time this year. The new school year always makes me so excited for fall, my favorite season. The changing leaves and crisp air remind me how much God loves us and gives us subtle reminders every day. We're praying for you, may you notice His Presence in your lives this week!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your transition into school has been a smooth one, you are all so deserving of that. I agree with the above post that time will go by quickly. My oldest has started his senior year in High School and it seems like just yesterday that I was putting him on the bus for kindergarten. Hug them and cherish this time of their lives.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you all are doing well and I'm glad that you are cherishing all these moments with the kids. They are so special. And it's wonderful that you take so many pictures so you can look back on them and smile. They will be in college before you know it so enjoy each moment!

Karla

Laurie in Ca. said...

Lindsey,

These pictures are so priceless. Kylee's outfit is so colorful just like she is! And Connor looks so grown up but only 5. Enjoy this time as it goes by so fast. My grandson is Kylee's age and I just can't believe how the time has gone by. It sounds like the "extra" time on your hands right now is just the right amount to adjust to. I think about you guys all the time and my prayers for you continue as the season changes from summer to fall.
All of you are precious to me.:)

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Robyn said...

Those Carlsons are cool cats, that's all I've got to say. I know this has been more tough in a summer of very, very tough--but I'll ALWAYS think of Connor's "Class Friend" Award and will never worry about the success of these awesome kiddos. We will see you soon.