Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Old Stomping Grounds


















We made the trek back to our hometown (Lindsborg, KS) this weekend to spend some time with Brandon's family. His Grandmother has been in poor health and seems to be having some issues with her memory over the last several weeks, so we took off for a quick visit.

Justin and Mary brought their children, Drew, Amy, and Beth, to Lindsborg too, and Rachel was there as well, so it was fun for the cousins to spend some time together. It was so fun to see all the kids--especially the twins, who have grown up so much since Christmas when we last saw them!

We got to see several of Brandon's extended family while we were in town, which was fun. It is always a bit surreal for me to be in the midst of such a large, bustling family. At my extended family gatherings, there are just a few of us around the table, but with the Carlson family, many times there are no fewer than 15 or 20 people present at any one gathering. They are all very gracious and welcoming to us, so I do genuinely enjoy being in the mix.

Our extended family gathered in the basement of the church that Brandon grew up in on Saturday evening. While we were there, a wedding was taking place. Brandon and I got married in that same church, so it was a trip down memory lane for me as I watched guests file into the reception and then saw the bride and groom drive away from the church together to begin their lives as husband and wife. I thought back to our wedding 7 and 1/2 years ago and was so thankful for the way that God has blessed us since then. We attended church on Sunday, and as I sat in the sanctuary, I looked at the aisle I walked down when we got married. As fun as it is to remember that very special day, it is even more fun to see what God has done in our lives since that day. We were so young and I don't think we could have comprehended the ups and downs of the journey that was to come even if someone had been able to tell us. I am confident that even if we had known, we still would have married each other, which is a bonus. ;)

On Saturday afternoon, I had a couple minutes by myself in the car. I seized the rare opportunity to listen to MY music and take a spin by the house that I grew up in. The owners are currently renovating it and I was shocked to see that the two huge picture windows that graced the house are being replaced with smaller, but probably more energy efficient, windows. It was kind of a sad moment for me. I lived in that house for 20 years--it was where birthdays and graduations were celebrated, where I came home to in college, where my friends and I hung out, and where I said goodbye to my Mom in her last moments on this earth. It will always be a special place to me and to see it changing made me a bit teary-eyed.

It's always neat to see how things change in Lindsborg and yet, how things stay the same. I miss some things about the small town atmosphere--the pace being a little slower and the streets being quiet--and even though Liberty is just where we need to be, I am thankful that Brandon and I got to grow up in a smaller, quieter place, and that now, we can take our children back there with us to experience a small sampling of what life was like when we grew up.

A big part of life in small-town America is farming. Brandon's Grandpa has farmed forever, as has his Uncle Dan. Dan and his wife Jane invited us out to their farm on Sunday afternoon, where we got to look at tractors and corn fields. Brandon took Connor out for a spin on some of the equipment, and it was hard to tell who was having more fun. :) Connor has since been trying to convince me that "Daddy needs a 4-wheeler for Father's Day".

Please pray for Brandon's Grandma and the rest of the family as they navigate through these current challenges with her health. She is an amazing woman that means so much to so many people and continues to be an example of Christian love even when she doesn't feel well...I watched as she and Grandpa walked together hand-in-hand this weekend and can only hope that after that many years of marriage, Brandon and I will also show that same love, concern, and dedication to each other. Grandma once said: "I know everything is right with my world when I wake up in the morning and hear Grandpa stirring around".

What an example for us all.

No comments: