Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Everyday Life

I haven't posted lately because there really hasn't been too much to report, which I suppose I am exceptionally grateful for. :)

The kids are doing well. Kylee approached me with grave concern today, asking why she had "frinkles" around her eyes. Was she asking about wrinkles? Freckles? I replied that we all had a little bit different skin around our eyes. She looked at me and said "But MOM...I have FRINKLES around my eyes!!!!" Let me say that this grave diagnosis was only made more serious by the fact that Kylee had dressed herself...and was wearing a too short purple skirt with a pajama top...that was on backwards.

I was lost, and decided to employ the tried and true reply of "That's how God made you."

She let me off the hook.

Later in the day, she approached me and asked "What would you like today?" She stood in front of me with her pencil and notepad poised to write. I obligingly ordered a hot fudge sundae. She replied that "they" didn't have hot fudge sundaes today. I asked "What is your special today?" She responded "Well, my puppy is freaking out and is all wiggly and just crazy, so...." and that was that. I looked over and Buster was sleeping quietly next to the couch.

How appropriate that today's special at Casa de la Carlson includes a dose of crazy. Once again, I am amazed at how perceptive our daughter is. :) At Kylee's suggestion, I ended up ordering some blankets and a pink teddy bear. It cost me "three thousand hundred" dollars.

Connor continues to amaze us with the speed at which he is learning and growing. Yesterday, he was proud to show us his "Way To Go!" sticker that he had received for being the first in his class to write 10 words with the letters of the day in them. Sure enough, there were ten words, written in his handwriting. What a boy! He is also reading everything in sight. It is great to hear him sound out letters and put words together. We are pretty proud.

Our latest struggle with Connor is trying to get him to hold onto his gloves and hat (this tells you what a good kid our son is that this is one of our "issues"). After losing his hat once, I gave him a (probably too) stern lecture about putting his winter items directly into his backpack so that he didn't lose them. I threatened him by saying that he was going to be REALLY cold when he didn't have a hat or gloves out at recess (not one of my proudest mothering moments...but I think he knew I wouldn't really send him to school gloveless...at least not on a really cold day). ;)

Today, when he came home from school, we were, of course, missing a glove. I asked him repeatedly where it might be. We looked, and looked. I stomped and glared and sighed excessively. He was upset about me being upset, but kept looking.

I found the glove on the floor of our truck. I once more (not-so-gently) asked him to PLEASE put his gloves and hat in his backpack AS SOON as he takes them off.

About five minutes later, he came up to me and said "Thanks for finding my glove, Mom."

Oh, geez. I felt about 2 inches tall and my heart melted. "You're welcome, Buddy."

We hugged. I treasure those moments because hugs aren't given as freely by my kindergartener as they once were.

We are now waiting for Brandon to get home so we can eat dinner together. The commute home has taken him an hour and a half due to the bad weather. In the meantime, the kids are playing together, fighting only occasionally, and Buster has peed on the floor. In the process of cleaning up the mess, I think I got dog pee on the leg of my pants.

Life is so glamorous here I can hardly stand it. And I'll take it...every minute of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally loved this post!! It had me laughing hysterically! Kids are just the best!

I hope that your teddy bear and blankets were worth the three hundred thousand dollars so Kylee could have her 'frinkles' removed and Connor could buy new gloves!!! Love it!!!! Cyndi

Laurie in Ca. said...

I love this Lindsey, just love it. Everyday life can be so exhausting and energizing all at the same time. And we have sweet children to make sure it happens. I just love the "Frinkles". And don't worry about the scarce hugs, they come and go and come back again:) You sound good these days Lindsey, not that you sound bad on others, oh heck, you know what I am getting at here. I am praying for you often and I just love reading about your life here. Have a most blessed week my friend. I love you.

Laurie
PS. I started my blog, and just when I need to do Christmas around here. I have so much to learn!!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Lindsey,

It was so good to see you visited me. I can't wait until I learn how to post pictures like all of you grown up bloggers do!:) I am grateful to just be up and running though. I hope your weekend is a special and blessed one. I am still smiling over the "Frinkles" around Kylee's eyes:) That is so darned cute!! The things kids come up with is what brings me the most joy during the day. They are just precious. I love you and continue to pray you through Lindsey. Have a wonderful day.

Love, Laurie

Anonymous said...

I love you, Carlsons! Things must indeed be glamourous when you can purchase items for three thousand hundred dollars.

Thinking of you this time of year and always.
Love,
Robyn and Ben

Gina said...

Don't expect the glove/hat situation to get much better too soon!! We have the same problem, except I wish that my son would be upset that I was upset...even just once!! Your stories about your kids are hilarious and outline their personalities. Thanks for sharing!