Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Reflections on Three Decades, Part I

Good Morning!

As many of you know, and some of you may not know, I am turning 30 on Thursday. Initially, I didn't view this as any big deal. However, many folks have asked me "How do you feel about turning 30?", and the more people ask me this question, the more I think maybe I'm under-estimating a landmark turning point in my life. Therefore, in an attempt to do some reflection, I have decided to begin a three-part series on lessons I've learned and things I've accomplished in my 30 years on this earth. This may not be exciting for you, but for me, it's a chance to be introspective, so look out.

Part I: 1977-1987 (or, ages 1-10)

1.) On February 22, 1977 in the late afternoon, I, Lindsey Louise McKinney, was born in Iowa City, Iowa. Now, don't get me wrong, my mother gets WAY more credit than I do for this particular accomplishment, but all the same, I figure I should begin here. According to mom, I arrived into the world purple with red hair. Mom swore that I looked as though I wasn't done "cooking" yet, and confessed to wondering if I needed to be put back in to bake a bit longer. Interesting note: I arrived precisely on my due date, which I believe demonstrates that I was born with Type A tendencies. Also interesting: I don't think I've ever been on time anywhere since then. :)

2.) Fall, 1978: I fall down the stairs of Alma Swensson Hall in Lindsborg, Kansas, and break my femur at 18 months of age. As a result, I end up in traction in the hospital for several weeks. I don't remember this, but as I look at pictures of me hanging basically upside-down, I see that many people have brought me stuffed animals and toys to play with, so I know that I was loved by many from an early age. Several family friends and relatives take shifts at the hospital to try to give Mom and Dad a break. If anyone in a white uniform came into the room, I would start blowing them kisses and saying "bye-bye" because any procedure was so painful for me. Accomplishment: I subsequently learned how to walk in a body cast. :)

3.) June 5, 1979: At two years of age, I become a big sister. Sarah Adair McKinney arrives on the scene. Sarah is the yin to my yang. We spent most of our younger years arguing and I considered it my personal mission to keep my parents informed of all of her inappropriate activities. She was the outdoorsy tomboy, I was the indoor powder puff. I wouldn't realize what a landmark moment this was until about 20 years later, when I learned what a great friend and source of comfort my sister could be.

4.) Around age five, I start kindergarten at Riverside Elementary, in Mrs. Finney's class. My first day of school, I was such a nervous wreck that I wet my pants. I arrived back home sobbing with soggy underwear. Enter one of the first memories of my Mom--she stripped my wet clothes off of me (I still remember the strawberry-decorated jumper I was wearing) and just held me on her lap in a rocking chair for a very long time. I remember feeling very safe in her arms. No words, just comfort. A great lesson in parenting for me at such an early age.

5.) December 29, 1981: I become a big sister for the second time. Jordan Craig McKinney enters the world. Jordan had everyone wrapped around his little finger from the very beginning. It was difficult to resist this little guy with red hair and a face full of freckles. He has since become one of my greatest sources of joy in this world because his ability to make me laugh is almost incomparable. Jordan's perspective on life, is, well, very Jordan-esque. Lesson: Getting to be a big sister is LOTS of fun. I now officially have TWO people to boss around. Bonus: One is a boy, which means Sarah and I automatically have someone to play the Daddy when we're playing house or to play Ken when the Barbies come out. In order to save my brother utter humiliation, I will admit that his willingness to do this was extremely short-lived.

6.) Around about this time, we moved to 213 North First in Lindsborg, Kansas, the big white Victorian house that I would grow up in. I still remember Mom and Dad turning us loose to pick out our own rooms. I picked out the bedroom at the front of the house, just off the balcony. It was my VERY OWN space, and I promptly decorated it with every pink colored item one could find. Lesson: Just because two things are the same color (pink), does not mean that they should go together. Dusty rose DOES NOT match baby-pink.

7.) I began first grade at age 6, in Mrs. Temple's class at Soderstrom Elementary. Accomplishment: I didn't pee my pants on the first day of school. Also noteworthy here is that I became Brandon Carlson's "girlfriend". We sat at the same table in school together and would often compete to get assignments finished first (I should have learned then that I would rarely finish first when competing with him in academics). In the heat of our competition, he apparently saw something he liked and asked me if I liked him more than J.D. Weis, another boy in our class who was apparently vying for my attention (it was literally a "check yes or no" note on the back of an empty box of Valentine's chocolates). Whether it was to defeat J.D. or because he really liked me, it was the beginning of something very special. I checked "yes" on the Valentine's box.

8.) This same year, I had my first interaction with my future father-in-law. Aaron came to our class to help us with math, and he sat at our table and spoke with me. He tells me I was very quiet. I don't remember this moment, but I hope that I made a good impression, because I math has never been my strong suite, and I sure wouldn't want to have looked dumb in front of the father of my future husband. :)

9.) In this first decade of life, I also earned my first trip to the Principal's office. Jennifer Bloomquist had gone home crying one day because Leah and Martha Woodard and I had denied her membership in our most-esteemed Cheerleading Club (I believe our reasoning was something to the effect of her not having the right color hair). Jennifer's mom called the school about our exclusion, and I landed myself in the Principal's office for a stern warning about being mean to other children. I would have faced the Principal 100 times if it meant I could avoid hearing from my mom on this issue, but no luck. My mom chewed me out royally. Lesson here: Being mean would NOT be tolerated in my family. Also, mom could get REALLY mad. Incidentally, Jennifer Bloomquist later became one of my best friends and remained so until we graduated from highschool. Additional insight: I was not cut out for cheerleading.

10.) I will wrap up this first decade of my life with my 10th birthday. I specifically remember walking over to ask if the neighbor kids could come out to play around my birthday and informing them that I was turning 10, which meant I was officially in "double-digits". A child's enthusiasm is priceless. Lesson: I hope I can face the next decade with as much excitement and anticipation as I did the big 1-0.

Stay tuned for the Reflections on Three Decades, Part II.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsey;

Thank you for sharing your intimate moments and memories. I think yours are much better than mine from those ages! I can't wait to hear more.

Love you always,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! What memories! Remember how much grief the woodies caused us? Dusty rose--had to laugh. Turning 30 was the most dreaded day for me, but ya know, once it arrived, it was just another day. I look at it as its a fresh start over. New decade, new lessons, new adventures. Happy Birthday!!
Love, Jen

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN'T STOP THERE!!! What a cool idea. Turning thirty is . . . well, for me, I just couldn't find a ledge that achieved "height-of-death." You seem to be doing better with this. Mrs. Wentz would be so proud of all of us with our blogs like this!

alex