Monday, January 29, 2007

Sweet and Spicy




Hello Again!
It is late January, and here at the Carlson house, we're in survival mode. I am in my last two weeks of teaching Assessment up at Jewell, and while it has been a great experience so far, I am ready to be home more often and go back to feeling like I have my head screwed on straight (mind you, that doesn't happen often when I'm home with two children, but I miss it all the same). I have 42 students in my course and they are doing a fantastic job. I gave my last lecture this morning (HOORAY!!) and will have 3 more lab sessions before I will evaluate their final skill demonstrations next week. Whew!



The kids have been wonderful while I've been working. I miss them a lot, but they're really patient with Mommy having to be on the computer more often and are so good about playing right here in the office with me as I work. One of our new games is "library" where Connor and Kylee empty the bookshelves and use our spare keyboard to "check things out". It's pretty cute. You can see for yourself above.


Having a 4 year old is just great. Connor's imagination is so vivid, and it's fun to watch him just be himself (or an airplane, or a fireman, or Buzz Lightyear...). I walked into the office the other day to find him dressed in Kylee's sun bonnet and his goggles and just had to laugh. Those of you who have the opportunity to see Connor regularly know that he is a man who enjoys accessories (in the most masculine sense, of course), and it takes him about 2 seconds in any environment before he's sporting one--be it a bandana, glasses, goggles, a hat--whatever. Here's a pic of him in one of his latest ensembles.


Kylee has made it her personal mission to keep our babysitters on their toes while Mommy is at work. The report I received after coming home one day last week was that she had been "a little bit sassy", and the tone of the sitter's voice told me that that wasn't a compliment. ;) I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that generally speaking, I would find "a little bit sassy" to be an accurate description of our daughter. And maybe, just maybe, I admire that about her (shhhh...don't tell).


Speaking of descriptors, I was talking with a colleague of mine the other day who has two children, a son in college, and a daughter who is a senior in highschool. I was sharing a story about Connor and Kylee, and my colleague laughed and said that her two children had temperaments much the same as ours do. She said "My son is just so sweet, and my daughter, well, she's a little more spicy".


Some times you crave sweet, and some times you crave spice. I am so thankful that God has blessed our lives with a sampling of both of these WONDERFUL flavors. :)

5 comments:

Samantha said...

What about those of us with two girls...I see a lot of sassy in my future.

The stories of Connor and Kylee playing together. I am really looking forward to the day when Rory and Emme can interact on a more even playing field.

Sheryl said...

We have a sweet and spicy combo in our house, too. Sophia is as cute as can be, even when she's sassy, but I'm afraid she is going to give us a run for our money!

Mary said...

Drew would absolutely LOVE to play library! Why don't we think of that? Instead, we play going to Target. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your outlook on life! Your kids are too cute!

Gina said...

Hey Lindsey,
Your kids are adorable and your stories are hilarious! My 2 yr old Jackson was getting upset just now as I was typing on the computer. I said, "are you getting hateful with me?" He replied, "no mom, I sassypants!" I think I have told him a few times that he is "Mr. Sassypants"! Its amazing how much kids take in even when you don't think they are paying attention!
Gina Pulliam Kouril