Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tooth Fairy Madness!

We're keeping the tooth fairy busy around here! Connor just lost his second front tooth. The tooth fairy left him $1.00 for his pearly white.

With Connor's first front tooth loss, he dutifully put the tooth under his pillow. The next morning, I came downstairs to find him sitting on the couch looking like a lost puppy dog. My heart dropped to my stomach when I saw that he had his tooth sitting beside him. He looked at me, quite sadly, and said, "Mommy, the tooth fairy didn't come!". If only he knew that the tooth fairy was trying to adjust to life with a newborn in the house!

I dialed Brandon and said "I just want you to know that we stink as parents". We brainstormed, and decided to try explaining that perhaps the tooth fairy was just too busy to stop by. I was ready to just confess that the whole thing was make-believe (I was also ready to give the kid $5.00 for his tooth because I felt so guilty. We dismissed this idea because of the dangerous precedent it would set.). Before we had offered an explanation, Connor said "Maybe the tooth fairy just didn't take my tooth because it was in an envelope instead of a napkin". We latched onto that one and decided that must have been the reason she didn't stop by.

The next night, we placed the tooth under Connor's pillow in a napkin. At 3:00 in the morning, as I was feeding Hadley, I had a moment of all out panic when I realized that once again, we had gone to bed without taking Connor's tooth. I woke Brandon out of a dead sleep. He looked at me, panicked, thinking something was really wrong. I said "Did you do something with the tooth?"

"Yes."

My heart slowed a bit.

The next morning, Connor was thrilled to see a note in the shape of a tooth under his pillow, along with an award of $2.00 for his patience.

Sleep deprivation can be quite costly, folks. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was little the tooth fairy took around three days to come. I always received these long notes detailing how she had to fly through strong storms (many times with a damaged wing)to get to our house; and that's why it took so long. :) Gotta love the creativity of parents!
becca

Anonymous said...

Nice . . . .congratulations Connor!!! Linds & Brandon . . glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Great to see pics of Hadley, can't wait to one day see her in person. And rest assured you are wonderful parents . . . it must have been the forgetful tooth fairy on duty that night!!!

Love you all, Cyndi

LoriS said...

Yes, this is how my kids figured it out. They came to me one morning and said "Mom, we know the tooth fairy's not real" I said, "Yeah? How?". They responded, "Because when we tell you we lost a tooth, we get money, when we don't there's no money." Then they proceeded to tell me that they know Santa's not real either because I left a Target tag on one of their presents.