Saturday, June 27, 2009

Summer Fun!

I thought I'd share a few pictures of what we've been up to this summer. :)
Summer started with several rainy days. One afternoon, Kylee decided she was going to put on her self-named rain gear and head out regardless of the showers...I thought her choice of rain gear was pretty interesting...I think the pink cowgirl boots were my favorite:
Then, one day, she decided to try on my sunglasses, which, as every parent knows, makes for an ADORABLE photo op. Here's Kylee's "Jackie O" look:
Connor requested dinner at Red Robin for his birthday. He is always adamant that he wants the birthday sundae, but there is to be NO SINGING under any circumstances. He gets that from me. The thought of several servers belting out a horrific rendition of "Happy Birthday" to me in front of a bunch of strangers is my idea of utter humiliation.

Look, Mom, I'm seven!

As you know, Kylee has been taking a dance class with her friend from preschool, Emily. She, at first, was quite resistant to the idea, but has grown to love it, and will occasionally put on performances here at home to demonstrate what she's learned in class. Based on what I've seen here at home, I believe this is them rehearsing their "Welcome Song" together. This is NOT a good picture of the instructor, who is not generally as enthusiastic as she appears here (thank goodness):
Kylee and Emily after class:
The majority of our summer has been spent at the Community Center in the water. Both of the kids wrapped up their swimming lessons this week and did an AMAZING job. The classes conclude with a journey down to the deep end of the pool (14 ft), where the kids get to jump off the platform and go off the slide. In Connor's class, by the last week, they were then swimming to the side by themself, while in Kylee's class, her teacher caught each of them as they slid into the water. The kids LOVED their lessons. Here's Kylee getting ready to slide:
Pretty proud of herself:

Connor working on his strokes in the pool with his teacher:

Connor getting ready to slide. This is his apprehensive pose. When he's nervous, his fingers migrate to his mouth. On the last week, when the teacher didn't get in the water to catch them as they came down the slide, Connor peeked his head around the edge of the slide and yelled "Aren't you going to help us?" It was pretty cute. The teacher assured him he'd be fine. And he was!

Using his freestyle to get to the side:

We also spend a fair amount of time at the pool in the afternoons, just playing together (at this point, I am sitting on the side watching. There are advantages to having two older children. Next year will be a very different story!).
I LOVE this pic of the kids:

Stay cool!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

That last pic is cracking me up. They have so much fun together--I love it.

Royal_T said...

Oh how I miss the kiddos! They are just awesome and talented kids. I love Conner's shyness and Kylee's ability to be outgoing and fearless. I need to see them real soon!

Tara