Friday, June 27, 2008

Celebrating Life

Hello!

I wanted to post some pictures from Connor's birthday. It will be a welcome relief from the more serious posts I have done over the last couple days. :)

We went today and had lunch with Connor at his school. Let me just tell you that sitting at a lunch table full of kindergarteners is a great way to enliven a heavy heart! We met Landon, Connor's friend that we hear most about, and also another Connor, who was very proud to share his knowledge of the alphabet in sign language. We met two girls...one whose name escapes me now...but she was very excited that her Daddy was going to buy her a pet lizard to eat bugs, and another named Olivia, who proudly asked me to guess her age.

It was pretty amazing to watch our not-so-little man march into the lunchroom, grab his tray, and select his meal from the choices that were on the lunch line...WOW. He is growing up.

Today will be his last day of summer school, as we will keep him home Monday and Tuesday (the actual last two days of school) so he can enjoy his time with Grandpa and Grandma Carlson while they are here. I cannot believe that this "mountain" (sending my son to school)that seemed insurmountable to me is one that has been conquered over the last few weeks. Now don't get me wrong...sending him in the fall will open the floodgates again...but to observe him being so comfortable in his surroundings brings me a great deal of comfort.

In recognition of that, here are some pictures of Connor's 6th birthday party at the local roller skating rink...

With Grandpa and Grandma Carlson (a not so great shot of sister Kylee):


A couple family shots (I LOVE this picture of the kids):



With Grandpa McKinney:

The rink invites all kids celebrating their birthdays to put a handprint on the wall. Connor, of course, chose red for his:

A table full of friends:


For Connor's birthday present from us, we redid his room in a Transformer's theme. Here are pictures of the finished product:

Connor was also excited to score a new lava lamp in addition to the Transformers decor:


And this picture, while completely unrelated to the birthday, just had to be posted:


It brings me such joy to gaze at our kiddos' smiles. These are the smiles that will get us through the weeks and months to come.
Thanks for allowing me to share.

9 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Lindsey,

Thank you for sharing these pictures.
And you are so right, these are the smiles that will get you through. These two are so cute and I am praying for them now and in the days ahead. I am so glad they have grandma and grandpa there to help you through. Praying for you sweet friend, praying like crazy. I am with you all the way through and beyond.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Hope said...

You have such a sweet family. The kids are beautiful! My oldest would be going to kindergarten this fall, but we're homeschooling this year. I would probably be teary-eyed to see her handle the lunchroom all by herself too! Continuing to pray for you all!

Robyn said...

I can't believe we're at lava lamps already. Soooo hip. I just can't believe it.

In that last picture, Kylee looks like me when I've just found out we're having Mexican food for dinner. I appreciate that it's healthier joys, like swimming, that motivate such joy for her:)

Love to you all--I'll be checking in often, praying even more, and loving you all all the way.
Robyn and Ben

Anonymous said...

Lindsey & Family,
I do not know were to start. My Heart has been with you and your family all week as I learned of your situation from my neighbor susan who I believe you met on Sunday! I saw your name on her little girls website and questioned her because I knew immediately it was you. My NCLEX instructor at WJC (2003). I could not believe it! Such a small world! anyways, I have been in touch with sue pingleton since I left there. so I do not know if you knew I lost my second child a little boy Jeffrey Kyle Christmas Eve 2006( wow for me I can not believe it has been that long ago , almost 2 years as I never thought I would survive) from different circumstances. I just want you to know I so can relate to your feelings and emotions you are feeling right now if I would have wrote a blog it would have been exactly the same. You have so been on my mind!!!! I am so sorry I just wish so much that you and your family did not have to go through this. If I could take your pain my family and I would. IT is so not fair! My heart is aching for you as a mother and for your family. If you ever want to get in touch my email is scrap-n-tj@hotmail.com. I will be with you in thoughts and prayers all day sunday.
love, Traci Harrison-Bray RN,BSN(2003 graduate)

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Lindsey and Brandon,

Checking in with you this Saturday morning to let you know I am praying for you guys, asking the Lord to hold you tight and carry you through. And praying for Caden. I am praying!!

Love and Prayers, Laurie in Ca.

Kylee said...

I love these pictures. your children are so precious!

praying without ceasing...
~Kylee (Dallas, Tx)

Samantha said...

Lindsey,
Every time I open the comment box, I can't seem to find the words to say. You have been on my mind so much. I pray for you often, and for a miracle for Caden.

Hope said...

Just wanted you to know that we're praying!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Lindsey and Brandon,

I wanted to stop by tonight before I go to bed and let you know my heart and prayers are yours tonight and all day tomorrow as you will get to meet sweet Caden. Asking God to give you a safe and short labor, and for Caden to be born alive and have precious time with you. I just know that we can trust Him to carry you through and hold you close. I will not stop
praying for you. I love you guys. May His peace be all over you tonight and all day tomorrow.

Laurie in Ca.